Comprehensive Pet Wellness Exams
At San Pablo Animal Hospital, we believe the time and effort invested in a wellness program has rewards for both pets and owners. We make every effort to prevent illness whenever possible. Why are wellness plans important? They can help us detect irregularities before they become a major health issue.
Each wellness program at San Pablo Animal Hospital is designed specifically for your pet and includes:
- Comprehensive physical exam—We will check your pet from nose to tail, including ears, eyes, skin and coat, teeth, lungs, heart, abdomen, and more.
- Internal parasite testing—We test your pet’s feces and recommend a deworming program if parasites are present.
- Heartworm—With a simple blood test, we can detect the presence of heartworms. These parasites are transmitted by mosquitoes and are fatal if left untreated.
- Vaccination program—We will recommend a vaccination program appropriate to the age of your pet.
- Spaying and neutering—If you do not want to breed your pet, we recommend spaying or neutering to help control the pet population. Every day hundreds of unwanted pets are euthanized. Spaying will help reduce the risk of uterine and ovarian cancers and uterine infections in females. In males, neutering reduces the potential for testicular cancer, abscesses and cancer in the prostate gland, and perianal tumors.
- Health monitoring blood tests—A small blood sample can give us a more complete picture of the overall health of your pet, and includes a complete blood cell count, electrolyte measurement, and assessment of organ function. These tests are more often recommended for senior pets.
- Flea and tick control—We will recommend a program to prevent fleas and ticks.
We suggest an annual exam for all pets. When you come for your annual visit, we recommend that you bring a stool sample in a clean container (a plastic baggy works great) so that we can test it for internal parasites. However, should you notice any of the following changes in your pet’s behavior, please call us to schedule an appointment.
- Increased/decreased eating
- Increased/decreased sleeping
- Excessive vocalization
- Inappropriate elimination
At San Pablo Animal Hospital, we believe your pet will live a much longer and happier life if you start a wellness program when you first get your pet and continue with it into his or her senior years.